Units, or Units of Measure (UOMs), are useful in managing inventory items. They allow items to be ordered and stocked in different units. For instance, washers are ordered from vendors by boxes (10 in a box), but checked out individually.
- A site item has a unit for stock management
- A site item may have units for ordering from vendors
1. Global Units
Global units are common units in Calem.
- Units are defined in Inventory | Codes | Unit of Measure
- A unit may have a base unit and a conversion rate. For instance, a box has 20 items in it. A day has 24 hours.
- Unit conversions are defined in Inventory | Codes | Unit Conversion
- Additional conversions between units are defined in Unit Conversion table.
2. Item Units
An item can have a custom set of units and conversion rates.
- Menu path: Inventory | Unit Tab | Item Uom Set
- List of Units allowed for this item
- Menu path: Inventory | Unit Tab | Unit Conversion
- Item specific conversion which overrides the global conversion rates if defined.
3. Item Unit Reuse
The item units defined above can be reused in other items by setting the "Unit item" field.
4. Vendor Units
Vendor units and prices are defined based on vendor catalogs or contracts.
- Menu path: Purchase | Open | Vendor Prices
- It is important that vendor units and stock units have conversion rates defined. Otherwise, receiving orders from a vendor to inventory will fail with an error message of "Unit conversion failed..." including source and destination units. You may configure either a global conversion rate, or an item specific rate to resolve this issue.